Friday, April 16, 2010

Things that arouse a fond memory of the past

This Pillow Book entry is inspired by The Pillow Book of Sei Shōnagon, translated and edited by Ivan Morris. Sei Shōnagon was a courtesan in 10th century Japan who kept a diary of the goings-on at court and concealed it in her wooden pillow. She made lists under various categories of specific, often quirky things.


Leaves falling around me like rain on a windy Autumn day. One fall day in the first year of our marriage, Mike and I took a walk. We were surprised by a shower of golden leaves.

The smell of stage make-up. This specific scent conjurs memories of dancing with The Arkansas Ballet.  To be on stage, beneath the spotlights, made-up and outfitted like a prima ballerina: a beautiful experience for a young girl.

The song "Everywhere" by Tim McGraw.  My sister gave us this CD when James was born (a birthday present for my husband). I remember the quiet times sitting in the living room, holding my sleeping newborn son, listening to the soothing music with my husband, and being overwhelmed by a love I could never have imagined.

1 comment:

  1. i'll never forget that day when big yellow leaves were falling down on us and all around us. a magical moment!

    ReplyDelete

Please Leave a Comment. Constructive criticism and helpful tips are welcome.